Today is World Physiotherapy Day!
In Physio school, one of the biggest take home pieces of advice was simple. The most important thing we, as Physiotherapists can provide for a patient is EDUCATION and EXERCISE. At Oakville’s Palermo Physio and Wellness this is what we strive to do. This makes a person an active participant in their care as they work towards their goals.
In an instant gratification world, gaining and maintaining strength, mobility and motor planning is not as simple as a click of a button or a quick manipulation of an area. There are ways to be efficient with your time depending on your goals, but work needs to be put in.
There’s a common saying that if the effects of exercise could come in pill form, everyone would be taking it!
In a highly medicalized and pharmaceutical culture in North America, Physiotherapy can often be an afterthought. We see patients who would have benefited from a much earlier referral to Physio services. This could potentially reduce cost spent on unnecessary imaging, earlier weaning off medications, less need to use medications, diminished persistent pain tendencies, earlier return to work, delayed surgical interventions, increased quality of life, the list goes on.
Here are some things we as Physiotherapists Assess and Treat in our Outpatient Physiotherapy Clinic in Oakville Ontario:
- Arthritis (Rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, psoriatic arthritis)
- Strains and sprains
- TMJ (Jaw) Issues
- Balance issues (fall prevention)
- Nuurological Issues – Multiple sclerosis, Parkinsons Disease, post stroke)
- Dizziness, vestibular issues
- Concussion management and rehabilitation
- Paediatric patients (delayed gross motor skills, torticollis, severs, osgood schlatters…)
- Post fracture care
- Post surgical care
- Return to sport rehabilitation
- Pelvic Health (incontinence, preened post partum, pelvic pain etc)
- Chest Physio
- Injury prevention
- Pre-Surgical rehab (“Rehab”)
Happy World Physiotherapy Day to all of our cohorts around the world!
To our Oakville and Halton communities, if you have questions about how Physiotherapy may be able to help you or a family member maximize their potential and reach your goals please feel free to contact us.