Today is World Physical Activity Day! Here in Oakville, Ontario it’s a rainy day. We have rainfall warnings and it may snow in the evening. It’s weather that doesn’t necessarily scream “come outside and be active!!!”.
There’s lots that can be done inside.
Try to fit a little more physical activity into your workday. Try a new activity with a friend, or with the family. Get moving!
Here are some suggestions in adding some physical activity to your day:
- Walk to communicate with your co-workers. Have a walking meeting, or walk over to their office to chat rather than sending an email. Take a short walk on your lunch break. Many companies offer a workout room or a group exercise / yoga class during the week. Think about participating in these offers if you haven’t. Take note if you feel like you are more focused on your work afterwards.
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator. If you are able to try taking the stairs at work instead of the elevator.
- Park further away – park further away. Leave closer spots for those who need them, and get a few extra steps in.
- Dance! Put on some music in your house and have a dance party.
- If you’re taking your kids to an activity, instead of sitting and waiting be active! It can be walking the stairs at an arena, taking a short walk or even seeing if there is an adult program at the same time.
- Try a new activity! Many town and city programming offers drop in programs. Even small gyms allow a trial session or drop in class. This is a great way to see if you like the gym or class before fully committing.
Hopefully incorporating more physical activity in your day today will lead to a continued desire to move. It doesn’t have to be complicated or a burden on your schedule to add in physical activity. If you’re have concerns and are unsure what may be appropriate physical activity for you, a Physiotherapist can help.