While many people have heard of a Podiatrist, the term Chiropodist is still less well known.
In our North Oakville Foot Clinic, we have two excellent Chiropodists as part of our team.
A Chiropodist is a direct access, or primary health care professional. This means they do not need a prescription from your doctor in order for you to book in and access foot care. Chiropodists specialize in the assessment, treatment or management, and prevention of diseases and disorders of the feet.
Chiropodists are educated and trained to maintain or increase mobility, and can treat acute (fresh), or chronic (persistent) conditions of the foot. The main goal of a Chiropodist / foot specialist is to help improve a persons quality of life. The Michener Institute of Applied Health Sciences is currently the only school providing chiropody training for students in Canada.
The scope of practice of a Chiropodist (what they are legally allowed to do), includes anything from nail and soft tissue surgery to basic routine nail care.
The scope of practice is outlined in the Chiropody Act, 1991:
- Cutting into the subcutaneous tissues of the foot.
- Administering, by injection into feet, a substance designated in the regulations.
- Prescribing drugs designated in the regulations.
- Administering, by inhalation, a substance designated in the regulations.
(Some) Things Chiropodists Treat:
- Foot pain
- Plantar fasciitis
- Foot and ankle osteoarthritis
- Foot and ankle rheumatoid arthritis
- Diabetic foot care
- Hammer toes
- Claw toes
- Ingrown toenails
- Foot ad toenail care if you have difficulty reaching your feet, or manually handling instruments
- Fungal toenails
- Thick toenails
- Cracked heels
The above list is not exhaustive, but gives you an idea of the depth of education and skill a Chiropodist has.
Unfortunately, we are not able to direct bill your private insurance for Chiropody services in the same way we often can to Physio and Massage services.
Contact us to book an appointment at our North Oakville Foot Clinic, or if you have any questions.