People are often surprised when they hear that TMJ issues are something that can be treated by our Oakville Physio’s and Massage Therapists. The TMJ, like any other joint in the body, can be injured acutely or over time. While treating the TMJ our Oakville Physiotherapists asses your posture, the joints range of motion, and the surrounding musculature. The findings during your Physio assessment will direct your Physiotherapy or Massage Therapy treatment. It also will affect what the Physiotherapist or Massage Therapist advises to you as a treatment “prescription”.
Here are some of the “Do’s” in TMJ management:
- Stay in the resting position of the Jaw: mouth closed, teeth slightly apart, tongue resting at the top of your mouth and breathing through the nose.
- Maintain good posture throughout the day, especially when eating, talking, yawning, singing etc.
- When yawning, support the bottom of your jaw with your index finger from preventing excessive opening.
- Wear a mouth guard at night if prescribed by your dentist.
- Repeat the home exercise program provided during your Physiotherapy treatment, several times a day.