As a Physio and Massage Therapy clinic in Oakville, we see many people with nagging aches and pains in their shoulders, necks and low backs from sitting or standing in one place all day. People who do a lot of keyboarding and gripping activities may also complain about elbow and forearm pain and stiffness. Massage Therapy and Physiotherapy can help with pain, muscular tension and relaxation but it is what you do on a daily basis that is important to supplement treatment.
Here are some tips from our Massage Therapist:
- Set a timer or your Outlook every 20 to 30 minutes to change positions and stretch quickly.
- Walk to a colleagues office instead of calling or emailing if you’re able to
- Take breaks to fill up your water bottle
- If you sit at work stand up during phone meeting.
- Take a walk or exercise on your lunch break – make a commitment to a colleague, you will be more likely to go!
- Breath! Take some deep diaphragmatic breaths once your are in a better postural position, you would be surprised how shallowly you breath throughout the day.
- Wearing compression socks or stockings can help with lower extremity circulation, and prevent swelling in the feet and ankles which can happen from sitting and standing in one place.
For exercises and tips specific to you it is best to consult with your Massage Therapist (RMT) or Physiotherapist (PT). Our North Oakville clinic offers Physiotherapy, Registered Massage Therapy and Foot Care by a Chiropodist. Call now to book an appointment!