Issues with our feet and toenails such as ingrown toenails are a common thing. Brittney, Chiropodist / Foot Care Specialist in our Oakville Clinic, is able to provide many treatment options to deal with foot and toenail issues.
What is an Ingrown Toenail?
An Ingrown toenail usually occurs in the big toe. It happens when the side or corner toenail grows into the soft tissues around it. Symptoms of an ingrown toenail includes:
- Pain & tenderness in your toe along one or both sides of the toenail
- Redness around your toenail
- Overgrowth of skin around the toe
- Swelling around your toe along the nail
- White or yellow coloured pus coming from the affected area
- Bleeding around the toe
Complications can occur if you have diabetes, circulatory disorder or if you have a condition that causes decreased blood flow. It is even more important to have an ingrown toenail assessed and treated promptly in these cases.
You can help prevent ingrown toenails through wearing properly fitting footwear, cutting your toenails well (don’t cut them too short or rounded), wear steel-toe boots if the situation necessitates.
A Chiropodist / Foot Care Specialist can Help!
Our Oakville Chiropodist can assess and offer treatment solutions for various foot ailments including ingrown toenails for people of all ages. A Chiropodist provides routine nail care for anyone who has difficulty with their own toenail and foot care. This includes but it not limited to:
- Those with decreased joint range of motion or difficulty bending / reaching their feet
- People with hand dexterity issues
- People who have decreased sensation of their feet and toes
- People with decreased vision
Routine foot and toenail care by a trained professional in a clinic environment helps ensure that ingrown toenails are prevented and treated safely, in addition to other ailments being identified and treated promptly.
Our Oakville Chiropodist / Foot Specialist can provide long term solutions to ingrown toenails as well as routine foot and toenail care to help. Call now to book an appointment to have your feet assessed. Care by a foot care specialist can be found in private benefits under Chiropody / Podiatry / Podiatrist Foot Care.