Our Oakville Physiotherapy, Massage, and Foot Care Clinic (Chiropody) is excited to celebrate National Physiotherapy Month! As Health Care Professionals we are incredibly passionate about what we do. At its base, Physiotherapy helps people achieve their goals – whether it be to recover from an injury, prevent injury, become pain free, increase function, increase strength or get back to an enjoyable activity – we help a wide variety of people in a range of ages and abilities. Here are some points that you may or may not know regarding Physiotherapy:
- You don’t need a Doctors referral to access Physiotherapy – Physio services are direct access (as are Massage Therapy and Foot Care /Chiropody). This means you do not require a Doctors prescription for Physio. That being said we do believe it is important for your doctor to be a part of your care and will communicate with them as needed. [Some insurance companies do require a note in order to obtain coverage)
- Physiotherapists Treat People of all Ages – Physio’s treat from Infants and Children to Seniors for a variety of reasons. We may see infants for issues such as torticollis, children for knee pain or heel pain, and seniors for fall prevention or arthritis pain.
- You don’t have to have an acute injury to see a Physiotherapist – Certainly Physios are well equipped to help with sports injuries and other sudden injuries but Physio care can also help people maintain their function and independence and prevent injury in their sports and hobbies.
- Physiotherapists can Diagnose! It is part of a Physiotherapists scope of practice and training to diagnose musculoskeletal issues with a thorough assessment.
- Physiotherapy does not have to stop once you are discharged from the hospital
– In-hospital Physiotherapy care allows people to gain mobility and function after surgeries, strokes, illness etc. It can assist people in returning home safely. Once home if needed you can access home Physiotherapy through the CCAC (community care access centre). This Physiotherapy care provided can assist people in attaining a certain level of function but sometimes people would like to progress further. A Physio can provide treatment for range of motion, function and strengthening for those motivated to continue to progress.
- Physiotherapy can be a Process – tissues have a certain healing time and in a world where things happen quickly it’s easy to want instant change. Our role is to teach people to manage at home as well as empower people to be an active participant in their care. Tissue change and attenuation takes time and consistency – we can’t expect to go to the gym once and then have huge biceps the next day.
Physiotherapists treat a variety of issues. Here are some examples of things we treat at Palermo Physiotherapy and Wellness Centre as Physiotherapists:
- Joint Stiffness
- Sprains and Strains
- Post Fracture – after people have had a broken bone and been immobilized
- TMJ dysfunction (jaw pain)
- Pre and post surgery
- Pre-Season sport and activity preparation
- Neck and back pain
- Plantar fasciitis/heel pain
- Fall prevention
If you have questions about how Physiotherapy, Massage Therapy or Chiropody / Foot Care can help you or a loved one please contact us at (905) 582-9700 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org