An ingrown toenail is a common problem we see and treat in our North Oakville foot clinic.
It is a condition where the toenail grows into the tissue / skin surrounding the toenail. Ingrown toenails most commonly happen with the bog toe BUT it can happen in any toe.
How can I Tell if my Toenail is Ingrown?
- From a birds eye view you may see the toenail curve into the skin, but not always. Sometimes the issue happens closer to the base of the toenail bed.
- There may be classic signs of inflammation such as redness, warmth to the touch and swelling.
- There may be signs of infection around the ingrown toenail. This may be pus or an odour.
- There can be pain in cases with or without an infection.
When Should I see a Chiropodist for my Ingrown Toenail?
- If if is bothering you and you are not sure how to treat it, it is best to get a medical opinion geared to you. Many people will try and self treat initially and that is ok in some cases.
- If there are signs of infection, such as increasing pain, redness and pus.
- If you have a high fever or are feeling hot or shivery, don’t wait to see a physician. Also, if there is an odour.
- If you have diabetes, foot issues such as ingrown toenails or areas of pressure can be more serious. It is important not to wait to seek an assessment with a Chiropodist or Physician.
- Your ingrown toenail has started to affect your sports or activities of enjoyment.
- If your ingrown toenail is recurrent or if the home remedies you have been doing are not helpful see a Chiropodist.
Podiatric foot care that is provided by a Chiropodist is often covered by private health benefits. There is usually a section for this type of coverage that is separate from the coverage you may have for custom orthotic insoles.
If you would like to book an assessment and treatment with one of our awesome Oakville Chiropodists contact us, we are happy to help.